Sunday, September 22, 2024

The 2024 Summer Movie Wrap Up


It's that time again! Here' s the domestic box office rankings for this summer.

1. Inside Out 2
2. Deadpool & Wolverine
3. Despicable Me 4
4. Twisters
5. Bad Boys: Ride or Die
6. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
7. A Quiet Place: Day One
8. It Ends with Us 
 9. IF
10. The Fall Guy

And here's what I predicted back in April:

1. Despicable Me 4 (7 pts)
2. Deadpool & Wolverine (10 pts)
3. The Fall Guy (3 pts)
4. Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
5. Inside Out 2 (3 pts)
6. Twisters (5 pts)
7. The Garfield Movie
8. Bad Boys: Ride or Die (3 pts)
9. Borderlands
10. IF (7 pts)

Wild Cards: Horizon: An American Saga, A Quiet Place: Day One (1 pt), and Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (1 pt).

I did about as badly as I did last year, which was pretty bad. Three of my picks didn't make the top 10. I had one bullseye and two near misses, but the rest of the titles were nowhere close to where they should have been. I feel especially sheepish, because the SAG/WGA strike meant there weren't that many titles to choose from this year. I made what I thought were safe bets, ignoring some of the actual safe bets in the process.


We had a wild season, with several big titles bombing in May before the box office recovered in June and July. "Furiosa" put up the weakest Memorial Day weekend numbers since the 1990s. The movie was good, but not a crowd-pleaser. Other May underperformers include "The Fall Guy," "IF," and "The Garfield Movie," which were all on my list. Nobody seemed to like any of them all that much. I was most surprised by "Garfield," which I figured would have some juice in spite of its terrible trailers, but it barely missed the top ten. "The Fall Guy" was a big stumble at the beginning of the season, proving that Ryan Gosling is not the kind of movie star that opens action pictures the way that Will Smith does.


Speaking of which, "Bad Boys: Ride or Die" was the turning point of the summer, finally delivering a big crowd pleaser in the first week of June. Then "Inside Out 2" came and mopped the floor with everybody for the rest of the month. It's PIXAR's first really big hit in a long while, and must have been a huge relief for Disney. I expected their string of rough box office results to continue, so I had it in fifth, and "Despicable Me 4" in first. Gru and the Minions showed up a few weeks later and did fine, ending up in third place. Meanwhile smaller franchise movies like "Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes" and "A Quiet Place: Day One" cruised into the middle of the standings and stayed there. "Twisters" was a bona fide hit domestically, but didn't make as much overseas as Universal was hoping for.


August brought "Deadpool & Wolverine," the only MCU film of the year and the first R-rated installment. However, the epic marketing blitz showed that it didn't really matter. It broke a billion worldwide anyway, giving Disney the top two spots for the summer. I have no excuses for the remaining misses - I'd never heard of "It Ends With Us," the Blake Lively romance based on a Colleen Hoover novel, and I didn't know about all the production trouble going on with "Borderlands." I picked it because it at least had a couple of actresses I liked. Kevin Costner's "Horizons" experiment was one of the true bombs of the year, but as I understand it, the two-part epic is structured so much like a television miniseries already, it's bound to find its audience on one of the streamers eventually.


Finally, "Alien: Romulus" deserves a mention for getting awfully close to the Top Ten. If it had been released earlier in the year, it probably would have passed "The Fall Guy." It cost little enough that it counts as a hit, and a very welcome one.


Next year, we get to watch "Superman" battle it out with "The Fantastic Four," and I honestly don't know what's going to happen.

---

No comments:

Post a Comment