Thursday, April 20, 2023

Trailers! Trailers! 2023 Summer Edition

It's been a while since I've done a trailer post.  I haven't had the chance to talk about some of these upcoming releases yet, so let's take a look before the summer movie season really gets underway.  All links below lead to Youtube.  


Barbie - This is the second trailer, after that fantastic "2001: A Space Odyssey" send-up last year.  Along with the recently released posters, we get to see more of the ridiculously talented cast, more of the "Barbie" universe, and more of a sense of the tone of the film.  Plot details remain scant, but I'm ready for Ryan Gosling in comedy mode, Margot Robie looking fabulous, and as much hot pink nonsense as the copyright lawyers will allow to be put onscreen.   


Elemental - I don't think that it's a good sign that the latest PIXAR movie looks so generically PIXAR after the more stylistically interesting "Turning Red" and "Luca."  This will be Peter Sohn's second turn in the director's chair after "The Good Dinosaur," and I honestly don't think it's going to do much better financially.  The film has no stars, a familiar premise of mismatched lovebirds, and beautiful visual aesthetics that are nonetheless awfully reminiscent of too many other recent PIXAR and Disney films.  I'm sure it'll be a good watch, as PIXAR's batting average remains very high, but right now nothing's grabbing my attention.       


Blue Beetle - This movie is in a tough spot, launching a new hero into the DCEU that's about to be totally rebooted by James Gunn.  We're also at a point where all of these origin stories are starting to look the same.  Sure, Jaime Reyes has the distinction of being a Latino kid with a big family, but his power set and costume look way too close to Spider-man in a summer that already has a Spider-man movie.  I'm not familiar with director Angel Manuel Soto or most of this cast, so we'll just have to wait and see.


Asteroid City - Boy, there are a lot of familiar faces in this movie.  All of Wes Anderson's films look alike too, but in this case that's a good thing.  Anderson has been so consistently good these past few years, I can't wait to get back to the Anderson-verse and see how he's going to fit new players like Maya Hawke and Hong Chau into it.  Maybe he'll even be able to boost the fortunes of Tom Hanks, who has weathered an awful run of disappointing performances lately.  


Knights of the Zodiac - I never watched "Saint Seiya," the anime series that this movie is based on, but I was aware enough of it during my otaku days to recognize it was your standard kid fantasy fight show.  And I couldn't have been more surprised that this was the property that TOEI decided to turn into a big, fancy, live-action film with a couple of bigger names participating in the ruckus, like Famke Janssen and Sean Bean.  It looks better than most of the  other Japanese produced live action adaptations of anime series, which isn't great, but potentially fun.  Add this to the list of movies where we'll just have to wait and see.  


The Last Voyage of the Demeter - I've been hearing about this movie for what feels like forever.  It's got a great premise: a period horror movie set on a ship during a transatlantic crossing - specifically the ship that carried Dracula to America.  However, I wasn't expecting that this was going to be so much of a creature feature, with the dark visuals to match.  I'm especially underwhelmed by the design of the creature, which is more bestial than I expected.  I'm not clear on whether Dracula is actually going to be a character in this movie.  Still, I'll see this for the excellent cast.   


The Marvels - Finally, here's one for the holiday season.  "The Marvels" is the only MCU project I'm remotely interested in this year, because it's the only one that actually has an interesting premise.  "Freaky Friday" with superheroes!  And I'm so glad to see Iman Vellani on the big screen, bringing a lot of Tom Holland-esque energy and more personality than Monica Rambeau and Carol Danvers put together.  

---

No comments:

Post a Comment