Saturday, April 23, 2022

Trailers! Trailers! It's Streamer Time!

It's been difficult to figure out how to do a trailer post for upcoming series, because the marketing works so differently.  Trailers often appear only a few weeks before a series comes out, with only a few bigger titles like "Stranger Things" or "Moon Knight" getting more extended marketing campaigns that go on longer.  There are shows like "Essex Serpent" coming out next month that we haven't seen a frame of yet.  It's hard to even pin down release dates for some projects.


However, it's the end of April and there are a flurry of shows being released, either to qualify for the Emmys or to take advantage of a very sparse summer movie season.  With competition ramping up among the streaming services, there's definitely been an uptick in marketing pushes lately.  I'm definitely more interested in some of these shows than the movies coming in the same time frame.   


All links lead to Youtube. 


Ms. Marvel - The Disney+ Marvel shows have been pretty much all in the same vein, all very broad and aimed at the same audience of established fans.  "Ms. Marvel" looks like it'll be a nice break from form because it's the first that seems to be aimed at younger viewers, and it features a Muslim-American teenager as its title character.  This will be a tough sell to some because the cast is mostly unknowns, but I expect the MCU will have built up enough goodwill by now that it'll find its audience.   


The Offer - This ten-episode miniseries will chart the making of "The Godfather," and the trailer is pretty good about showing off the cast.  I didn't know Juno Temple was in this!  And Matthew Goode is playing Bob Evans!  And Dan Fogler looks perfect as Francis Ford Coppola!  I don't know how much this material is going to appeal to people who aren't fans of either "The Godfather" or Hollywood tell-alls, but as a film nerd I'll be happily binging this the next time I get to Paramount+ in my rotation.


The Staircase - One of the show's creators is Antonio Campos, whose last few films I've liked., but all you really needed to do to sell me on this was the involvement of Colin Firth and Toni Collette as the Petersons, a couple at the center of a well-known murder investigation.  I haven't seen the documentary series this was based on, or the parody version, "Trial & Error."  I don't know any of the details of the actual case.  This puts me in a good position to go into this series blind, without any preconceptions.  


The Kids in the Hall (Red Band) - They're coming back!  All of the guys are old and decrepit now, but it only took a glimpse of Francesca Fiore and Bruno Puntz Jones to get me onboard.  My only real worry here is that the show might be more like their feature film "Brain Candy" or miniseries "Death Come to Town," and less like their original sketch-based format, which I greatly prefer.  The old "Kids in the Hall" was pretty bare bones, and the new series looks much more expensive.  However, I'll be there regardless.   


Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - This is the "Star Trek" prequel series that's a spinoff of "Discovery," and features the younger versions of Captain Christopher Pike, Number One, and Mr. Spock, who were introduced there.  Kirk is scheduled to show up in the second season.  I like the cast well enough that I'll be happy to give this a shot, but the trailer honestly isn't doing much for me.  It's very focused on spectacle and sex over the characters.  Is this supposed to be more of a throwback "Trek"?


Stranger Things 4 - Part of me isn't convinced that this show is ever going to be released.  Three years after the last season, I'm actually pretty happy just seeing the trailer, with all the kids older, new monsters, new powers, and somebody rocking a sweet guitar solo.  This looks like a summer blockbuster, and I'm convinced that in a decade or two "Stranger Things" has a good chance of being rebooted as a film franchise.  Netflix has been having a terrible year, but they're far from out of the game yet.   


The Boys Season 3 (Red Band) - First, great song choice.  However, this trailer isn't doing much to convince me to keep watching the show.  I'm not too excited about seeing Jensen Ackles play Soldier Boy.  There's no sign that the plot is going to progress anywhere interesting.  The trailer is just emphasizing that we'll be getting more of what they think we want from the show - violence, irreverent humor, and Homelander behaving like a psychopath.  And are we supposed to know who the bearded guy is?      


Obi-Wan Kenobi - From what we've seen from Disney+ so far, they're selling a darker show than what they're actually going to deliver.  Most of the trailer is showing Ewan McGregor in desert environments and Moses Ingram being a badass.  I am really tired of Tatooine after "Boba Fett," so I'm hoping Kenobi isn't sticking around for long.  I don't have too many thoughts yet, except that there have been a lot more cast members announced who haven't shown up yet.  Fingers crossed.    


---

No comments:

Post a Comment