Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Trailers! Trailers! 2022 Incoming Edition

All links below lead to Trailer Addict. 


The Northman - This is going to be the biggest project Robert Eggers has tackled to date, a Viking revenge epic with an all-star cast.  The trailer is fabulous, setting out the whole story and really hammering home the central theme of violent revenge.  This is based on the life of a historical figure who is considered the inspiration for Shakespeare's "Hamlet," and Bjork (onscreen again after all this time!) is playing a witch, so I'm anticipating sinister supernatural doings in abundance.      


Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - I've been progressively getting less and less excited about this Marvel film after seeing what the other Marvel properties have been doing with the multiverse concept, and Doctor Strange's appearances in "What If…?" and the latest "Spider-man" film.  I wasn't too impressed with the first "Strange" film, and the last time Sam Raimi made something for Disney, the result was "Oz the Great and Powerful."  The trailer doesn't do much to quell any of my fears, but I guess we'll see. 


The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - Warning, this one's a red band trailer.  Honestly, this is a movie that I think looked better on paper.  Nicholas Cage having to meet and entertain one of his wacky criminal superfans in order to save his family is bonkers enough to be really entertaining - so as long as Cage really commits to the idea.  "JCVD" and "Being John Malkovitch" have pulled off similarly meta premises.  This one, however, has yet to show me that it knows what it's doing.  Or maybe I'm just not as much of a Cage fan as the writers of this film are.


The Black Phone - This horror film from the creators of "Sinister" was originally supposed to be a January release, but it was moved to a summer release date based on positive early response.  I think this is one of those cases where it's better not to watch the trailer at all since it gives away too much of the plot.  However, the premise of a kid trapped in a murderer's basement, trying to escape before he becomes the next victim, is fantastic.  And it doesn't hurt that Ethan Hawke will be playing the murderer.  


Everything Everywhere All at Once - Who says that only the superhero films can have fun with the multiverse concept?  This year, I think that Michelle Yeoh and the Daniels are going to give the MCU some real competition on this front.  Yeoh starring in a film like this also makes me so happy.  I've been regularly watching her in supporting roles in Hollywood films for decades now, and she's finally getting some of the spotlight next year with this film and the new "Witcher" spinoff series.  


The Lost City - Just when I thought that a "Romancing the Stone" reboot was off the table, along comes Sandra Bullock with her newest romantic comedy/action comedy combo.  Bullock as the romance writer who gets swept up in one of her own plots is pretty standard stuff, but Channing Tatum as her idiot cover model, who insists on tagging along, is inspired.  And Brad Pitt popping up, seemingly just because he can, makes this the funniest trailer I've seen for anything so far this year.  


The Outfit - I don't know anything about this movie except from what I've seen in the trailer, and honestly I'm sold.  The cast is great, the setup - a British tailor gets mixed up in the dealings of a Chicago crime family - looks very solid, and the filmmaking looks gorgeous.  No surprise that Dick Pope shot this.  Winter's been a good season for smaller crime and thriller films lately, and between this and Guy Richie's latest, "Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre," the season doesn't seem so glum.


Turning Red - It took me a while to come to the realization that PIXAR's "Turning Red" is about a Asian-Canadian girl in the '90s, so we're talking about someone pretty close to my demographic.  I've never seen a lead character like that in an animated film this high profile before, and I've got to say the prospect is an exciting one.  "Turning Red" will be directed by Domee Shi, who made the adorable "Bao" short, and I'll be secretly treating this as an unofficial spinoff of the "Ranma ½" universe, unless I hear otherwise.     

---

No comments:

Post a Comment