Monday, January 3, 2022

My Most Anticipated Web and Television Series of 2022

This looks like the year that many of the big budget, ambitious, blockbuster size shows are finally going to premiere.  There have been many delays, such that I've already written about many of the big titles of 2022 in previous posts, including "Sandman," and "Lord of the Rings."  However, there's plenty more television headed our way, and I'm also very interested in several returning series.


"Kids in the Hall" (Amazon Prime) - They're coming back!  The trend of reviving shows from the '80s and '90s continues with the return of the entire original cast of beloved Canadian sketch comedy show "Kids and the Hall" for at least eight more episodes.  I love these guys, and while they're all much older and grayer now, they're not too decrepit yet that I can't see them wringing a few more laughs out of some familiar material.  I can't wait to catch up with Buddy Cole, Gavin, Chicken Lady, and all the rest.  


"Moon Knight" (Disney+) - Most of the Disney+ MCU series of next year will revolve around new characters, and the most promising one on the list is definitely Moon Knight.  I know almost nothing about this superhero, except that he suffers from dissociative identity disorder and headlines one of the trippier, weirder titles in the Marvel universe.  However, somehow they convinced Oscar Isaac to play the title character, with Ethan Hawke onboard, probably as a villain.  Is it too much to hope that "Moon Knight" could be the MCU version of "Legion"? 


"The Essex Serpent" (Apple TV+) - Ooh, it's been a while since I've seen anything from Clio Barnard, who has made some fantastic films, including "The Arbor" and "The Selfish Giant."  This is a Gothic thriller, based on Sarah Perry's bestseller, that will star Claire Danes and Tom Hiddleson as a Victorian era pair who are on the trail of a mythological sea serpent.  However, the dangers that they face aren't of the supernatural variety.  Apple has a ton of interesting titles headed our way, and their track record has been pretty good so far, so I'm feeling good about this one.      


"Obi-Wan Kenobi" (Disney+) - I would be kidding myself if I didn't include this series on the list.  This was originally planned as a feature, but was shelved after "Solo: A Star Wars Story" didn't perform well.  I was not a fan of the "Star Wars" prequels, but Ewan McGregor was always the best thing about them, and the prospect of a six episode sequel series providing a coda to those films piques my interest.    Having a few key returning cast members from Episodes I-III is also very encouraging, though I'm more interested in the new characters played by Sung Kang, Indira Varma, and Kumail Nanjiani.  


"Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake" (HBO Max) - My dilemma with "Adventure Time" was always that my favorite part of the show was the distaff versions of the main characters, Finn and Jake, who appeared once only in a long while, as Fionna and Cake.  And now they're getting their own series!  The two characters, along with our old friend the Ice King, will be traveling the multiverse in a new adventure.  This will be a good opportunity for me to get back into this universe, as I've kinda lost track of the "Adventure Time" mythology over the last few years.


"The Crown" Season 5 (Netflix) - I've been very satisfied with the show so far, and we're looking at another cast and era change, which will bring Imelda Staunton as Queen Elizabeth II, Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip, Elizabeth Debicki as Princess Diana, and Dominic West as Prince Charles.  The timeline will finally catch up to events that I actually lived through, which Peter Morgan also previously covered in his 2006 film, "The Queen."  I'm very curious as to how he's going to tackle the material this time.  Netflix has already set this for November of 2022.


"House of the Dragon" (HBO) - Okay, HBO.  You've got a fabulous cast that includes Paddy Considine, Olivia Cooke, and Matt Smith in place for your  big "Game of Thrones" prequel.  You've got Miguel Sapochnik onboard as a showrunner.  You've decided to use George R.R. Martin's own history of the Targaryen family (unfinished of course) as the basis for the story.  All the pieces are in place for something that should be pretty watchable.  Please don't screw this up the way you did last time.  Thanks.  

---

No comments:

Post a Comment