Friday, March 1, 2024

My Most Anticipated Films of 2024 Part I

Oh boy, this is going to be an interesting year.  2024 is when we're going to actually feel the full effect of last year's SAG/AFTRA and WGA strikes, and there are going to be some pretty noticeable empty spots on the release schedule.  I had to keep adjusting this list, because movies kept being delayed to 2025. However, there are plenty of movies that are still being released, and I'm looking forward to a lot of them.


As usual, this feature is being split into two parts.  The first will focus on the bigger budget studio films and the second will focus on the indie, foreign, and arthouse films that may end up breaking into the mainstream, but right now are only anticipated by film nerds like yours truly.  Netflix and Apple films are categorized with the studio films.  Here we go:


Deadpool & Wolverine - Yeah, I know, but this is the only Marvel feature being released next year and some of the stuff that's leaked has me very excited.  Ryan Reynolds and company are going to get to take some potshots at Disney, and Hugh Jackman is coming back to help him.  An R-rating has been promised, which is appreciated, but I don't think they'll really need it.  There are clearly plans to make use of the wide array of IP now available for mockery, so I'll be spending the next few months dodging spoilers.


The Fall Guy - David Leitch's movies have been dependably fun.  I have no attachment to the Lee Majors television series that this movie is based on, but all I care about is that this is a Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt action movie, and everyone in the trailer looks like they're having a great time.  Gosling will be playing a stunt man again, and the movie is being directed by a stunt man, so I expect some high quality stunt work.  Like many others, this wasn't intended to be a summer blockbuster, but it'll have to do.


IF - Not to be confused with the Blumhouse horror movie "Imaginary." This is a big swing from Paramount and John Krasinski, who is writing and directing a fantasy movie about abandoned imaginary friends.   The tone might be too whimsical for some viewers, but the cast is stacked.  In the absence of much else on the May schedule, this could end up being one of the big films of the summer.  I also want to point out that there is a "Quiet Place" prequel coming that Krasinski is  not involved with.    


Furiosa - Finally.  George Miller returns to the "Mad Max" universe with his long-awaited prequel to "Fury Road."  Anya Taylor-Joy will star as the title character, with Chris Hemsworth as a villain named Dementus.  Behind the scenes, most of the key creatives are back for another round - writer Nico Lathouris, editor Margaret Sixel, composer Tom Holkenborg, production designer Colin Gibson, and costumer Jenny Beavan.  This will be the film to beat this year at the summer box office.  


Beetlejuice 2 - From what I can tell he's not going Hawaiian, but the ghost with the most is finally returning in a sequel to the 1985 original this fall.  Jenna Ortega is starring as Lydia's daughter Astrid, and has brought the creators of "Wednesday" along for scripting duties.  And despite knowing better, I continue to watch every movie that Tim Burton directs, and since he showed up for this one, I feel obligated to show up too.  I'm trying to keep my expectations low, but the '80s goth girl in me can't wait.    


Joker: Folie à Deux - I never thought that "Joker" would ever get any kind of sequel, but Arthur Fleck coming back for a twisted romance with Harley Quinn, patterned after Martin Scorsese's "New York, New York" makes a certain amount of sense.  And Lady Gaga playing Harley is just something I have to see for myself.  I was never more appreciative of Warners allowing multiple versions of their characters to coexist in simultaneously running film series, and I'm definitely not bored of Harley yet.  


Wicked - Another long-delayed project it feels like I've been waiting forever for.  Now the musical will be a two-parter, starring Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo, with an impressive ensemble cast.  Part One is due out at Thanksgiving, with Part Two expected a year after that.  Jon M. Chu, most recently of "In the Heights," will be directing.  Fingers crossed that they pull it off.


Coyote vs. Acme - Because at this point, how could I not be rooting for this?


---

No comments:

Post a Comment