Monday, August 14, 2023

The 2022-2023 Television I Didn't Watch

In advance of my 2022-2023 television top ten list (I go by the Emmy eligibility calendar, because it's easier), I want to talk about some of the shows I didn't watch this year, for various reasons.  There are far, far more shows out there than anyone can possibly keep up with, so this is not a remotely exhaustive list.  The titles below are only the most high profile ones that I want to talk about why I skipped. 


I reserve the right to revisit these choices in the future, but I still haven't seen anything from any previous list.


"Succession" - I'm finally giving up on ever starting this.  There's been a boost in the show's popularity for its final season, but I can't bring myself to spend nearly forty hours watching these terrible people destroy each other for power, no matter how entertaining they are.  The clips and catch-up summaries I've seen have only cemented that the Roy family are simply too infuriating for me to take.  


"Yellowstone" - This includes all the spinoffs.  I'm glad that Taylor Sheridan and Kevin Costner have such a big win, but the more I read about the show the more it's clear that I'm not the target audience.  Westerns were always a challenge for me, and frontier narratives even moreso.  I might have fun picking apart the show's old fashioned worldview, but there are simply too many other options for me to bother. 


"Cunk on Earth" - I've seen the Philomena Cunk character a few times in some of Charlie Brooker's other shows, and I don't think I need to see one built around her.  I have a pretty low tolerance for comedians playing dumbell characters, and I'm not getting any novel vibes from Cunk.  The subject matter actually looks like a lot of fun otherwise - visiting historical sites and talking to various experts.  Too bad.


"Daisy Jones & The Six" - I like Riley Keough and Sam Claflin, but music biopics, even fake ones, are pretty rough for me.  I recently watched all of Danny Boyle's "Pistol," which was about a real rock band from the same period, so I think I've hit my quota for this genre anyway.  This is the show on this list I feel guiltiest about skipping, however, because it's a riskier project and aimed at an underserved audience.     


"Jury Duty" - The combination of a reality show with a sitcom format reportedly got some very good results, but this just isn't the kind of thing I enjoy.  Frankly, a whole series where everyone is fake except for the one guy who's being "Truman Show" -ed sounds bizarre, and not in a good way.  I'd be way more interested in watching a documentary about how this project was done than the actual show itself.  


"White House Plumbers" - I'd probably be watching this for the star-studded cast if it weren't for the fact that "Gaslight" got to the Watergate scandal first, with an even better cast last year.  I got really burned out on all those prestige miniseries in the spring of '22, so I've been cutting back.  "Love & Death" is another one I'm on the fence about skipping, which covers the same events as last year's "Candy."


"Dahmer" - Finally, I'm generally a true crime fan, and I like a lot of the people involved in this project, but I don't think I need to see Ryan Murphy's take on Jeffrey Dahmer.  If this were a movie, maybe it would have been more palatable, but ten episodes is a lot.  I like the idea of a macroscopic approach, looking at systemic failures as well as Dahmer's sociopathy, but the results were reportedly mixed.  

---

No comments:

Post a Comment