Tuesday, January 3, 2023

My Most Anticipated Web and Television Series of 2023

Why are you getting the "most anticipated" post for television and web shows now, and the one for movies in March?  Both have the problem of scheduling and release dates not really being worked out this far in advance.  Television is actually worse in this regard, with the existence of some projects often being under wraps until a month or two before they're actually released.  With movies, I know I can get a fairly good bead on the whole year by the time Sundance comes around.  With series, it's much less certain, so it really doesn't matter when I write the post.  And there are definitely shows that I'm anticipating right now.


In no particular order, here are seven series I'm looking forward to in 2023.  As always, there's no guarantee that these shows won't be delayed, but I'm hopeful we'll see the majority of them by the end of the year.


The Three-Body Problem (Netflix) - The long-awaited adaptation of the influential Chinese science fiction series is being helmed by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, with a cast that includes a couple of other "Game of Thrones" alums.  There have been several other failed attempts to bring this franchise to the screen, so the expectations for this one are quite high.  What worries me is that while there's Chinese talent involved in this project, it's definitely a Western product.  So, fingers crossed.  


Disclaimer (Apple TV+) - Ever since I learned that Alphonso Cuaron was writing and directing a miniseries starring Cate Blanchett, with Bruno Delbonnel and El Chivo doing cinematography, I've done my best to learn as little about it as possible.  All I know is that it's based on a psychological thriller novel, the rest of the cast is fabulous, and filming happened last year, so it should be coming down the pipe fairly soon.  This is Cuaron's first major project since "Roma," so how could I not be excited for it?   


Time Bandits (Apple TV+) - Jemaine Clement, Iain Morris, and Taika Waititi are turning Terry Gilliam's fantasy film into a series.  I don't have much attachment to the film, which was a little too dark and a little too weird for me when I was a kid, but I'm very curious as to what this group of Kiwi creatives are going to do with it.  None of the surviving Pythons appear to be involved, but I'm still hopeful that the show will be able to maintain the scruffy charms and anarchic humor of the original.  


Good Omens 2 (Amazon Prime) - I never expected we'd get a follow-up to the 2019 miniseries, but apparently Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett had plans for a sequel, and Michael Sheen and David Tennant were up for a second round as Aziraphale and Crowley.  It feels like this thing has been in production forever, and I'll be glad to finally see the finished product this summer.  And the nice thing is, I have absolutely no clue what the plot will be about this time around.  


The Power (Amazon Prime) - This is the show I know the least about right now, but the convergence of talent and the buzz around the project have me intrigued about the possibilities.  It's a speculative science fiction series starring Toni Colette, showing what might to the world happen if women became the dominant sex.  There have been some pandemic-related production issues and recasting, but I like that the show is ambitious and timely and will probably be pretty controversial.  


Ripley (Showtime) - Casting Andrew Scott as Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley in a new series sounds like a very good idea.  Steven Zallian, most recently responsible for "The Night Of" will be writing and directing.  I assume that this is going to be an adaptation of "The Talented Mr. Ripley," since Dickie Greenleaf and Marge Sherwood are listed as characters, but the show is eight episodes, and I'm hopeful that they'll be able to tackle some of the material from the other Ripley books too.  


The Full Monty (Hulu) - Usually, I'm wary of these nostalgic follow-up series and films, but revisiting this set of characters, who are associated so strongly with tough economic times in the UK, feels right in 2023.  If Danny Boyle and Ewan MacGregor could revisit "Trainspotting" with pretty decent results, I don't see why Simon Beaufoy and Robert Carlyle and Mark Addy and the rest couldn't revisit "The Full Monty."   

   

---

No comments:

Post a Comment