Thursday, October 6, 2022

Rank 'Em: The Best Picture Winners of the '80s

Decade by decade, I'm ranking the winners of the Academy Award for Best Picture.  From greatest to least great, here's the '80s.  And I warn you that it's been a long while since I've seen a lot of these films.


Amadeus (1984) - This was an easy choice because "Amadeus" is one of my cinematic touchstones.  I've written about it before, so I'll just say here that my appreciation of the film has only grown with time, especially the performances and the use of Mozart's music.  Also, I prefer the original theatrical cut to the Special Edition, and it galls me that it's so much harder to find that version these days.  Other notable nominees of these Oscars included "The Killing Fields" and David Lean's "A Passage to India."

Rain Man (1988) - Dustin Hoffman had an almost miraculous run of great roles, and I always thought that Raymond Babbitt was in many ways the last.  Hoffman did plenty of great work later, but he peaked with Raymond, a savant who is simultaneously both endearing and utterly infuriating.  With Tom Cruise delivering one of his better, truly underappreciated performances, the two have undeniable comedy chemistry, and emotional rapport.  And this fuels a buddy road movie of unusual poignancy and joy.  


Gandhi (1982) - Thank goodness Richard Attenborough cast Ben Kingsley as Mahatma Gandhi over a bigger name.  I cannot conceive of how this movie could have worked otherwise.  "Gandhi" is mostly remembered as a feat of epic filmmaking, with a cast of thousands.  What it really is, even more than it is a biopic, is a country's founding myth.  The Gandhi depicted in the film is not the historical figure, but a human ideal intended to awe and inspire.  Let's face it though.  "E.T." really should have won.


The Last Emperor (1987) - I have to make the disclaimer that nostalgia plays a significant part in how I ranked this film, as it was a big deal in my community to have a film depict this period of Chinese history.  And a massive epic directed by Bernardo Bertolucci, was an especially validating thing to see.  In retrospect, like "Gandhi," this is a simplified and often inaccurate historical biopic.  As spectacle, however, it's cinematic catnip.  And I'm still furious that none of the actors were nominated.


Terms of Endearment (1983) - The beloved James L. Brooks weepie features one of the great onscreen mother/daughter relationships of all time, with stellar performances from Shirley Maclaine and Debra Winger.  I tend to remember this one as a cancer movie more than anything else, with some particularly gutting hospital scenes, and am always presently surprised by the appearance of Jack Nicholson.  However, it's not one of my favorites, and probably wouldn't have won in a more competitive year.


Platoon (1986) - The reputation of "Platoon" boils down to the fact that it's a Vietnam War movie made by a director who actually served and experienced the carnage.  I don't think it's as good as "Apocalypse Now" or "The Deer Hunter," but "Platoon" is undeniably authentic and deeply personal.  It  would also catapult Oliver Stone into the spotlight, and into the right position where he could make better films.  It's a very deserving winner, though I'd argue that Roland Jaffe's "The Mission" is just as good.  


Driving Miss Daisy (1989) - This is a nice, pleasant, feel-good  film, and I bear it no ill will.  The performances are good and the production is solid on every front.  Unfortunately, it reflects a certain attitude from Hollywood about depictions of race relations that has stuck around for way, way too long.  More on that when we get to "Green Book."  I probably would have picked "Born on the Fourth of July" for this year, though "My Left Foot" and "Field of Dreams" were also strong contenders.


Out of Africa (1985) - I have beef with "Out of Africa," because it seems obvious to me that "The Color Purple" should have won Best Picture, with "Witness" in second place.  Lovely cinematography and the John Barry score aside, I don't see how Meryl on her farm in Africa, having a love affair, rates higher.  Maybe I saw this at the wrong time in my life, when I was younger and too impatient, but the romantic colonialist notions and the gallant doomed pilot just failed to hold any interest for me.     


Chariots of Fire (1981) - The Vangelis instrumental is great, but this British sports drama is a bore.  You've got a movie about Olympic runners and anti-Semitism, and it's an unbearable drag.  I barely remember anything positive, and it doesn't surprise me that it's the most notable thing that anyone involved with its creation has made.  Frankly, I'm stumped as to how this beat out heavy hitters like "Reds" and "On Golden Pond."  Even "Raiders of the Lost Ark" would have at least been a memorable choice.   


Ordinary People (1980) - Finally, I hesitate to call this one of the worst Best Picture winners because it's a well-intentioned film about mental health that was pretty daring for its time.  However, it's aged terribly, especially in the way that it demonizes Mary Tyler Moore's character.  It's also one of those unfortunate winners where literally any of the other nominees would have been a better pick.  "Raging Bull" should have won, and if not "Raging Bull," then "The Elephant Man" or "Coal Miner's Daughter."

----

No comments:

Post a Comment