Saturday, January 2, 2021

My Most Anticipated Television and Web Series of 2021

Usually at the beginning of a new calendar year, I write up a funny post about the movies that I expect will be bad, and that you probably won't see further mention of on this blog.  Since last year, however, the movie business has found itself in dire straits, and it just feels rude to pile on the jibes in these dark COVID times, even if it is just for fun.  


However, there's plenty of media still in the works and being readied for mass consumption, so my TV and web series anticipation post is all ready to go.  Keep in mind that with television it's always more tricky to predict release dates because the production timelines are so different.  Last year's post included the "Cowboy Bebop" and "The Wheel of Time" series, which are still nowhere in sight.  I fully expect that some of the titles below won't show up on our screens until 2022 or later.


Also, keep in mind that I'm an unrepentant genre nerd. 


"Lord of the Rings" (Amazon Prime) - I've been wrestling with this one for ages.   The new series is expected to take place well before the timelines of "The Hobbit" or the "Lord of Rings" trilogy,  but isn't actually based on any of Tolkein's material like "The Silmarillion."  Best case scenario is that we end up with an original story that happens to take place in this universe, like "The Mandalorian."  More likely, however, we end up with another drawn-out prequel narrative that is way too beholden to the previous adaptations.  In any case, it'll be fun seeing how this all plays out.


"What If…?" (Disney+) - Of all the Marvel series in the works, this is the one that has piqued my interest the most.  I love animation, and I'm totally onboard with the idea of a wide open anthology series remixing the Marvel universe every week.  What would have happened if Peggy Carter took the super-soldier serum instead of Steve Rogers?  What if Thanos was a chill dude?  The series will surely be less wild and wacky than I want it to be, but the possibilities are endless.  

 

"The Nevers" (HBO) - I am aware of how problematic Joss Whedon has become over the past few years, but I can't help being excited for his return to serialized television.  A good chunk of the Mutant Enemy gang is back, including Jane Espenson and Doug Petrie.  Also, the show is a period sci-fi drama about a bunch of Victorian women with superpowers.  And it's got Olivia Williams, Pip Torrens, and Nick Frost in the cast.  How could I not?


"The Sandman" (Netflix) - It's not too likely we'll see this before the end of the year, but Netflix has already got the marketing machine going pretty hard, so you never know.  I have been a fan of this property for a very long time, and I've been following developments very closely over the last few years.  Whether the final product turns out well or not, I'm very excited that it's finally happening and the "Sandman" series is something that will exist soon.    


"Station Eleven" (HBO Max) -  So, a post-apocalyptic show might be a little too on-the-nose right now, especially one that takes place in the aftermath of a global pandemic of swine flu.  This one, however, is based on a well-received 2014 novel, stars Mackenzie Davis and Himesh Patel, and will be directed by Donald Glover's frequent collaborator in visual madness, Hiro Murai.  I think that's at least worth some consideration.   


"Nine Perfect Strangers" (Hulu) - The latest David E. Kelley miniseries, based on a Liane Moriarty novel.  The cast is star-studded, lead by Nicole Kidman as the Russian resort director of an exclusive health retreat called Tranquillum.  The book got mixed reviews, but is full of eccentric characters for actors like Melissa McCarthy, Michael Shannon, and Samara Weaving to play.  Jonathan Levine is directing the whole shebang. 


"Foundation" (Apple+) - I still have a free trial of Apple TV pending, and I'm probably going to use it for this series.  Based on Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" novels, which I vaguely remember reading in high school, the show will feature Jared Harris as Hari Seldon, and Lee Pace as, (I kid you not) the Emperor of the Galaxy.  Will this redeem showrunner David Goyer in the eyes of nerddom at last?  I don't know.  Let's find out!

---

No comments:

Post a Comment