Wednesday, January 1, 2020

My Least Anticipated Films of 2020

There's no doubt that these posts are getting harder and harder to write. It's not because there are fewer terrible movies getting released each year, but because the studios have been getting better at hiding them. Many awful titles that might have gotten a theatrical release a few years ago are now being dumped on VOD or streaming. There's often not much advance information provided about stinkers, or they show up as late additions to the slates, with little marketing or fanfare. Netflix has gotten especially good at ambushing us with the surprise existence of a new Wayans' or Adam Sandler comedy every few months. After some consideration, I'm leaving streaming premieres out of the larger post below - except to point out the existence of Sandler's "Hubie Halloween," which wrapped up shooting a few months ago.

I also considered having a section for least anticipated television and streaming series this year, in the name of greater movie/TV parity on this blog. Ultimately, I decided against this due to logistical reasons and because it's really a little too easy to find bad television these days.

So, let the cinema shade-throwing commence. And if past years are any indication, it's likely this will be the last time you see discussion of any of these titles on this blog.

Let's start with horror. First up, there a "The Grudge" remake with Andrea Riseborough. It's being made by Nicholas Pesce, an arthouse director, but the early January release date points to the studio not having any faith in it. A new "Saw" film called "The Organ Donor" is due in May, starring Chris Rock and Samuel L. Jackson. Try as I might, I cannot conceive of the result being anything good. Finally, a fifth "Purge" movie is coming in July. There are quite a few other iffy horror titles on the schedule, but also some interesting experiments like the "Fear Street" movies and the reboot of "Fantasy Island." It's actually looking like a pretty strong lineup for horror fans this year.

The kids, alas, have more dire minefields to clear. While I respect the filmmakers of "Sonic the Hedgehog," for deciding to delay the film to make their animated Sonic less cringe-inducing, everything about this movie screams early 2000s live-action/CGI hybrid kids' movie in the vein of the "Scooby Doo," "Garfield," and "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movies. No thank you. I think that the "Despicable Me" franchise has thoroughly worn out its welcome, so I'll be avoiding the prequel "Minions: The Rise of Gru." Unless there are major tonal changes, I'm also writing off "Peter Rabbit 2." I also want to point out the oddness of "The Croods 2" coming seven years after the original, which was a fairly minor hit for Dreamworks in the first place.

Bad comedies often follow particular stars. I picked on Melissa McCarthy last year, and this year I'm afraid it's Tiffany Haddish's turn. Her track record has been pretty awful ever since "Girls Trip," and she's in two films this year that don't look any more promising. The first is female ensemble comedy "Like a Boss," which Paramount is dumping in January. Then in February comes "Bad Trip," described as a hidden camera prankster film, with a couple of Adult Swim alumns behind it. There's a small chance we'll also see her in the Billy Crystal dramedy "Here Today," which sounds a bit like "The Intouchables" with comedy writers. I respect Crystal, but he hasn't directed a feature since 2001.

Other comedies I'm avoiding are "Bad Boys For Life," where Martin Lawrence is now a walking punchline, and somehow I'm being made to miss Michael Bay's involvement, and "The Jesus Rolls," the long awaited "Big Lebowski" spinoff about Jesus Quintana. Apparently the latter is now a remake of Bertrand Blier's 1974 French comedy "Les Valseuses," as directed by John Turturro. I've actually seen "Les Valseuses" pretty recently. I don't think this is going to work.

Finally, it feels a little too easy to pick on the latest Paul W. S. Anderson action film, "Monster Hunter," and the latest faith-based weepie, "I Still Believe." I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the more troubled blockbusters I'm holding out some hope for, like "Godzilla v. Kong" and "New Mutants" are going to turn out to be pretty awful. But we'll see.

I'll have my most anticipated film lists up around March, after Sundance, once release schedules have filled in a little more.

---

No comments:

Post a Comment