Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Nuts, I Liked "Dark Phoenix"

There is a very long list of reasons why I shouldn't like "Dark Phoenix," which is going to be the last of the Fox produced "X-men" films.  It is writer and director Simon Kinberg's second attempt to adapt the "Phoenix" storyline from the "X-men" comics, after the disastrous "X-men: Last Stand," and he didn't really solve the major problems with it.  Jean Grey was always a difficult character to get right, and though Sophie Turner does her best, she's not very compelling here. I don't appreciate the way Kinberg mucks with the characterization of Xavier (James McAvoy) and Beast (Nicholas Hoult) to generate more conflict.  There are still way too many characters with too little to do. Surely Cyclops (Tye Sheridan) should have gotten more attention here, but then there's really no attempt at significant subplots. Or humor, for that matter. There's also a new villain, Vuk (Jessica Chastain), that is really just walking exposition in a cool outfit.  The whole second act is remarkably poorly put together, dropping plot points like lead weights while emotional arcs are barely sketched in.

And yet, to my immense annoyance with myself, I still liked the movie.  I have invested so much in this run of "X-men" films, I couldn't help feeling happy seeing these characters again.  I got such a kick out of watching the fully formed X-men team in action in the first act, rescuing a group of astronauts, and I liked the big showdown in the third act, which was well paced and showed off everyone's powers in a fun way.  And the sight of Michael Fassbender out-acting everyone around him, even if it's doing something as goofy as tug-of-war with a helicopter, still makes me so happy. "Dark Phoenix" is the only movie he and Jennifer Lawrence are appearing in this year, so that probably influenced me subconsciously too.  Compared to "Apocalypse" and a string of other, much more disheartening franchise films this year, "Dark Phoenix" came off as massively flawed but actually pretty watchable as an action spectacular.

Sure, I could nitpick about the nonsensical timelines or how ridiculous the latest costumes look, but when it comes down to it, I watch these films to see good actors taking on these larger-than-life characters and conflicts, engaging in CGI enhanced fisticuffs, and maybe a little social commentary around the margins too, if we're lucky.  "Dark Phoenix" gave me plenty of the first two, as "X-men" boasts the best casting out of any of the current superhero franchises, and the actors deliver plenty on even the worst outings. It also has a couple of interesting ideas regarding human-mutant relations that don't get nearly enough screen time or development, but at least the filmmakers actually tried to engage with that side of the premise this time.  We're probably never going to see any of the Genosha storylines on film, but it was nice getting just a hint of what it might have looked like. And I'm clearly not above being pandered to as a fan, so the little callbacks to past relationships and events went a long way with me. The final scene with Xavier and Magneto may have felt forced, but it was the right note to end the Fox "X-men" series on.    

Maybe I'm just feeling generous because the "X-men" series is being put out to pasture so abruptly, in less than ideal circumstances.  I thought it had hit its expiration date a few years ago, but I'm not happy that Disney is taking over this franchise, because as bumpy as the output has been, Fox has done some great things with it.  I can't help wondering what "Dark Phoenix" would have looked like, if they'd done it ten years in the future with a more seasoned director, or what some of the proposed spinoffs with this group of actors could have achieved.  Jon Hamm as Mr. Sinister will remain a pipe dream, alas. I almost wish that "Dark Phoenix" had been a real dud, because I could have written off the whole universe with no regrets. Now, I'm seeing it off with more reluctance. 

In the end, I want exactly what I wanted after "Apocalypse," which was to see all of these characters take a long break and regroup.  The reasons are a little different, but my sentiments are more or less the same now. Rushing into things and overreaching, as we're seen demonstrated over and over again, just makes a mess.      
---

No comments:

Post a Comment