Saturday, November 10, 2018

My Top Ten Movie Props

I've written before about not really being the kind of movie fan who likes collecting movie-related stuff.  I don't have action figures or toys, don't keep my ticket stubs, and don't even have much physical media lying around anymore.  This doesn't mean that I don't have daydreams about being able to own some of my favorite movie props. I thought I'd make a list for your enjoyment.  An embarrassingly high percentage of these are jewelry, and most are from films I watched as a kid. So, to indulge my nerdy side today, here's a top ten list of some of my favorite movie props that I would totally hoard away if I ever got the chance.

The AURYN - This topic came up because I saw a picture of Kevin Feige's memorabilia-filled office at Marvel, and started wondering what I'd decorate my own theoretical movie mogul office with.  And, of course, that brings us to the famous wish-granting AURYN from "The Neverending Story" that Wolfgang Petersen famously gave Steven Spielberg. As far as I know, it's still in Spielberg's office.

The OZ key and Mombi's Key - The original OZ key prop from "Return to Oz" actually came up at auction about a year ago, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw it in the catalogue.  There are a lot of knick-knacks (and Tik Toks) from the film that I'd love to own, but there's something about the keys that immediately bring me back to that gorgeous, weird, wonderful movie.  I'd take the ruby key over the ruby slippers any day.

Wicked Witch's Crystal Ball and Hourglass - That's not to say I don't love "The Wizard of Oz" and its props.  However, the objects that I was the most fascinated by were all related to the Wicked Witch. Her hourglass with the red sand and that huge crystal ball were especially memorable.  It probably says something about me that my decorating choices are more in line with the villain of the piece than anyone else in the movie.

Golden Ticket - This should be self-explanatory, right?  There are tons of replicas and templates out there to make your own now, but that creased up gold foil original from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is what I want to frame and hang over my door.  The redesigned ones may look snazzier, but they're also just not quite right. I also love Wonka's brown top hat, the one Gene Wilder famously gave notes on.

The One Ring - The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is right about where my movie nostalgia stops these days.  I enjoy the "Harry Potter" films, for instance, but have no particular attachments to wands or Hogwarts letters.  "Lord of the Rings," however, is a series I got really emotionally invested in. There are some great props here, including Sting, the Evenstar, and those amazing leaf brooches.  The One Ring, however, rules them all.

The Fedora - Most of this list is tchotchkes rather than costumes or weapons.  However, the most iconic object in the "Indiana Jones" series is Indy's fedora.  It's also definitely an object that becomes part of the action multiple times, my favorite being it's miraculous return at the end of the tank chase sequence in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."  Yeah, the golden idol is shiny, and the bullwhip is sharp, but nothing beats the fedora for pure cool.

The Bedknob - I found this one on an auction site recently too.  One version of the prop bedknob from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" was perforated so you could stick a light source inside and it would look like it was magically glowing.  The final shot of the movie is a close-up of this very image. It would be very comforting to know that a trip to the Isle of Naboombu or the bottom of the briny are only a couple of twists and taps away.  

Eternal Life Potion - I'm not interested in eternal life, but that elaborate potion bottle from "Death Becomes Her" was to die for.  Even if it doesn't magically float or glow purple, it would be so much fun just to unbox that thing with the different wrappings and pretend I'm Isabella Rossellini with the wild accent and everything.  Siempre viva! Live forever! It would also be a handy place to keep the emergency tequila.

Wizard's Key and Horn of Dagoth - One of my favorite movies from my childhood was "Conan the Destroyer," and the two magic Macguffins it featured were a big shiny gem and and a jewelled horn.  I don't really recall what they did - one was some kind of key, and the other turned a statue into a giant monster, but I just remember as a kid thinking that they were amazing looking.

Annie's Locket - The heart-shaped locket broken into two pieces is so familiar now that it's a cliche.  However, one played a very prominent role in the 1982 version of "Annie," directed by John Huston. It was one of the very earliest movies I remember seeing, and has always had a place in my heart.  The locket is its most prominent symbol - appearing right there in the title cards too.

Honorable Mentions: Memory crystals from "Superman," goblin masks from "Labyrinth," the bishop totem from "Inception," the medallion from "Raiders of the Lost Ark," the puzzle box from "Hellraiser," the snow globe from "Mary Poppins," the typewriter from "The Shining," and all the Muppets.  All of them.

This was a lot of fun, and made me realize that I need to do a corresponding list for TV props.  You'll see that one posted in a month or two.

---

No comments:

Post a Comment