Saturday, October 4, 2014

State of the Blog Post

This is a little overdue, but I wanted to get back into the groove of writing content before I addressed the future of this blog. A long story short, I no longer have the time or the resources to devote to writing that I had in the past, or to the consumption of media, frankly, so any ambitions I had about producing comprehensive and timely commentary have pretty well been squashed. I've seen a grand total of three movies in the month of September, and I haven't been keeping up with any television, with the exception of the current season of "Doctor Who" (more on that in a few days). The new fall season is in full swing, and I haven't seen any of the new pilots. Awards season is coming up, and I don't see myself setting foot in a movie theater for the foreseeable future. It's a little depressing, yes, but rest assured that my time is being well spent on other pursuits. And that doesn't mean I intend to give up on the blog or being a media junkie in the long run.

As I've mentioned before, my media consumption will largely be shifting from the first to the second window - rentals, streaming, and other home media options, so you'll still be getting my takes on the big films, but four to six months late. Look for my reviews of "Interstellar" and "Big Hero 6" next spring. I plan to keep up with a couple of my favorite shows like "Mad Men" and "Game of Thrones," but you'll probably see reduced coverage of the casual viewing like "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and "The Big Bang Theory" because I'll no longer be watching them every week. More shows will go on the "eventually" pile, like the new seasons of "Orange is the New Black" and "True Detective." Movies will get priority over television - I'm already making lists of smaller titles to track down later. Award show coverage is out - I fast-forwarded my way through the Emmys the morning after. I've also decided to stop chasing down the last few "They Shoot Pictures Don't They?" titles. The final tally is 975 out of 1000 films on the 2014 list, with No. 975 being all seven hours of Bela Tarr's "Satantango," which I finally saw back in May.

So what's coming up? I have my 2013 film list ready to go, having worked through the last few titles on my "To Watch" list. It's probably the last year for a while where I'll be able to be so comprehensive. I'll still be writing analysis and reaction pieces for developments in the entertainment world, and boy have there been developments. I could write a whole month of posts on the "Star Wars" news alone. I don't expect any changes to the "Great Directors" or "Top Ten" posts, which will continue to be regular features. I expect I'll be leaning more heavily on nostalgia pieces for a while too, until I can catch up a bit with the summer movies.

Finally, a few nuts and bolts. I'm going to shoot for at least ten posts a month, a perfectly reasonable goal I didn't manage to reach in September. I will no longer be cross-posting content to Dreamwidth, as they do not have convenient scheduling controls and I haven't been able to work out how to set up anything to do it automatically from the Blogger feed. I don't have much time to spare these days, so I gotta streamline where I can. Hopefully this will mean a leaner, meaner Miss Media Junkie, and ensure the blog sticks around for a long time to come.

Happy watching.
---

No comments:

Post a Comment